A tribe is viewed, historically or developmentally, as a social group existing before the development of, or outside of, states. Many anthropologists used the term tribal society to refer to societies organized largely on the basis of kinship, especially corporate descent groups. Some theorists hold that tribes represent a stage in social evolution intermediate between bands and states. Other theorists argue that tribes developed after, and must be understood in terms of their relationship to, states. It is important to note that the word 'tribe' is a contested term due to its roots in colonial anthropological foundations and the connotations that these hierarchical definitions have. It is common practice to use alternative terms like 'ethnic group' , or nation.
The social structure of a tribe can vary greatly from case to case, but, due to the small size of tribes, it is always a relatively simple role structure, with few (if any) significant social distinctions between individuals. Tribalism frequently refers to the possession of a strong cultural or ethnic identity that separates members of a group from the members of another group. This phenomenon is related to the concept of tribal society in that it is a precondition for members of a tribe to possess a strong feeling of identity for a true tribal society to form.
One system of classification of tribes contains four categories:
- Gatherer-hunter bands, which are generally egalitarian.
- Tribal societies in which there are some limited instances of social rank and prestige.
- Stratified tribal societies led by chieftains.
- Civilizations, with complex social hierarchies and organized, institutional governments.
A tribesman is a member of a tribe. A tribesman's first loyalty will be to his tribe, and he will fight to the death to defend his tribe and its territory and hunting grounds. He will resist anything that threatens either him or his tribe, and will willinly sacrifice his own life if doing so will benefit his fellow tribesmen.
Tribesmen in Valhalla
Figures with Tribesman Synergy/Attacks
- Mohican River Tribe: War Cry: After taking a turn with the Mohican River Tribe, if at least two Mohican River Tribesmen you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Unique Tribesman Hero you control.